When I first became vegan I thought I would have to give up all those nice treats such as cupcakes because they obviously contain eggs and milk. It took a while for me to realise it’s actually quite easy to ‘veganise’ recipes, so turning a non-vegan recipe into a vegan one. My mum makes a delicious marble cake so I decided to turn it into vegan marble cupcakes.
These cupcakes are really fluffy and the combination of vanilla and chocolate dough is one of my faves. I gave these to several friends and they all couldn’t believe they were vegan. Mission success I would say!
The Best Vegan Marble Cupcakes
- 250 g plain flour
- 125 g caster sugar
- 125 g margarine
- 2 tbsp milled flax seeds
- 125 ml plant-based milk
- 15 g cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 50 g dark chocolate
- First, you need to preheat the oven to 175 °C. Next, it’s time to prepare the flax eggs. For 2 tbsp milled flax seeds, you need 6 tbsp of hot water (the equivalent of 2 flax eggs). These need to soak for a few minutes till they have a ‘slimy’, eggy consistency
- Mix the sugar, margarine, vanilla extract and the flax eggs until well combined.
- Now slowly add the milk and flour (combined with the baking powder), added a little bit of each until you’ve used them all and made a nice dough.
- Divide the dough (about 1/3 and 2/3) and mix the smaller amount with the cocoa powder.
- Spoon the plain dough and then the cocoa dough equally into cases in a cupcake tray and put it in the oven for 35 minutes or until a skewer comes out without any raw dough attached to it. If you want to, you can use a skewer to mix the dough up a little bit, so it looks more like marble. Unfortunately, we don’t own skewers yet so I just left them as they were. Of course, you need to do that before you put them in the oven 😉
- When the cupcakes are done leave them to cool and melt the dark chocolate by boiling some water and placing a glass bowl with the chocolate above it. If you want you can put the chocolate into the microwave as well but then you need to stir it a lot and the chocolate will probably lose its shine.
- After you’ve done that the chocolate needs to cool and then they’re ready to enjoy!
There we go, my mum’s marble cake turned into delicious vegan marble cupcakes! I would even say the best vegan marble cupcakes I’ve had so far!
If you try them let me know how they turned out and tag me in the Instagram pictures! 😉
For more recipes follow me here!